Saturday, July 08, 2006

A Thought for Portugal.. They were awesome

Exuberant... Exciting... Swashbuckling... These are the few words that I uttered when I watched Portugal play in the FIFA World Cup 2006. Though, always considered as the dark horse, Portugal has never been able to live up to the expectations that the Football lovers placed on them. They always flashed like a lightning but soon died off, but the moment in which they flash is absolutely heart throbbing. I just love them play, dunno why, but may be they expel some kind of magnetism that attracts me.

It all started from the year 2000. It was the Euro cup where the world witnessed a bunch of young players from Portugal who were termed as the golden generation of the Portuguse Football panorama. The generation included Rui Costa, Figo, Nuno Gomes, Xavier Pinto and... and... and believe me they were all on the rise. I never had any idea about the Portugal football team before the year 2000. Ya.. not denying the fact.. that somewhere in the line I heard about the daring deeds of Eusebio that brought fame to this European nation. But it was just a faint knowledge. But with Y2K, this footballing nation ruled my heart. Just with the utterance of their name, a sort of electric current flew through my muddy casket. Still dunno why.. May be coz I am an Indian.. and may be some kind of Portuguese connection.. u know Vasco Da Gama- the Portuguese discovered the Indian soil.

Everything absolutely blended wonderfully well. Portugal is awesome- simply rocking. They play as if they are battling for their precious life. You can never be short of excitement when they take the field. 2002 world cup arrived- I was doing the graduation at that time.Well the buzz was around. Everyone talking about Footbal and selecting their own team to support. Brazil and Argentina were the favourite names selected by many of my pals. Ask me, whom I selected?? Portugal is the answer... Ha Ha Ha Ha was the reaction by many of my pals. For a moment they thought me as if I had lost my sense. But Portugal was the team I cheered for. They fared badly. But even in their defeat I loved their game. Many laughed me off, but still the name Portugal remained at the top in my footballing dictionary.

Four years on.. 2006.. FIFA World Cup, Germany.. Still Portugal occupies the top notch of my heart. Now I have something else to cheer for. The rise of a new star.. an angel with sublime touch and wily skills.. Cristiano Ronaldo.. This 21 year old guy is challenging the spot for the best young player in World Football. He is now the image of the exciting and exuberant Portugal Football team. Ronaldo played a great role in bringing Portugal to the semis. The episode involving Rooney's ouster in the quarterfinals saw this youngster face a blah blah from the media. But he silenced them with his skills at the field in the semis. Those who say that he is good athlete but casted in a wrong sport dont know Football. Though lost in semis, Portugal this time has won a lot many hearts. It has displayed to the world their real class and quality that has always remained an unknown quantity..

Hail Portugal.. Hail Ronaldo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home